Our city provides all the right ingredients for companies looking to thrive in this industry; a highly skilled workforce, strategic resources tailored to the industry, a prime location on the north shore of Lake Ontario, and a large scale distribution network that can reach 142 million consumers within a day’s drive.
Ideal for companies looking for a location for their Corporate Headquarters or wishing to focus on:
- Food Manufacturing, Processing or Packaging
- Beverage Manufacturing, Processing or Packaging
- Supply Chain and Services
- Wholesale or Retail Operations
- Research and Development
A Booming Sector
- Food and Beverage is the second largest manufacturing industry in Canada, with Ontario being North America’s second largest centre for food processing.
- Burlington is part of Halton region, with over 33,000 workers employed by nearly 1700 food and beverage businesses.
- With 6,500 acres of land used strictly for farming in Burlington, fresh ingredients can easily be sourced here.
Choice Real Estate
- Prime locations.
- Class A, B and C office space.
- High end industrial spaces with grade level doors.
- Development costs that are competitive relative to our city’s proximity to Toronto.
- Charges for building permits are among the lowest in the region.
- New incentives designed to encourage development.
Large Scale Distribution Network
- Situated in the largest consumer and industrial market in Canada.
- Local and area cold storage facilities designed to meet your food storage needs.
- Choice of reliable, flexible and secure options for the transfer of goods.
- Easy access to global markets via land, air or sea.
- 73% of our residents have a post-secondary education, higher than the province’s average.
- There are 10 universities within 100 kilometres.
- Our city’s innovation centre, TechPlace, helped city entrepreneurs generate over $35 million in revenue in the 2018/2019 fiscal year.
- A greater quality of life means employee retention rates are higher.
Dedicated City Personnel will:
- Eliminate barriers to business growth through the Red Tape Red Carpet Task Force.
- Provide market intel and data.
- Recommend sites based on your business’s needs.
- Brainstorm and troubleshoot on the spot.
- Liaise with all levels of government on your business’s behalf.
Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA)
The Ministry provides the tools and resources one needs to start a farm or food processing business, or make changes to their existing operations.
Go to: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA)
Ontario Agri-Food Technologies (OAFT)
An agriculture technology accelerator that provides Ontario businesses with industry expertise and access to funding programs.
Go to: Ontario Agri-Food Technologies (OAFT)
Food and Beverage Ontario (FBO)
The FBO is the provincial professional leadership organization for food and beverage processors across Ontario.
Go to: Food and Beverage Ontario (FBO)
The Fund is designed to get more locally grown food onto the plates of Ontarians, through grants, education, policy and networking initiatives.
Go to: Greenbelt Fund
Chicken Farmers of Ontario (CFO)
Located in Burlington, the CFO provides innovative and entrepreneurial leadership to the industry’s supply management system, ensuring consumers enjoy a reliable supply of safe, healthy, high quality, Ontario-grown chicken.
Go to: Chicken Farmers of Ontario (CFO)
Mohawk College is widely recognized as a leader in sustainability, and has been designated a Bee City Campus for its commitment to honey bee colonies and related programs.
Go to: Mohawk College
City School by Mohawk
The school provides free learning opportunities, including a 9-week Food Manufacturing Industry program and job placement service through SkillsAdvance Ontario. The program is designed to give students the skills they need to build a career in this industry.
Go to: City School by Mohawk
Canadian Food and Wine Institute at Niagara College
Offers services to support industry innovation and commercialization of new products and processes. The College also pairs industry partners with recent graduates.
Go to: Canadian Food and Wine Institute at Niagara College
University of Guelph
Department of Food Science
A hub for local, national and international collaborations, and one of the world’s premier food science departments.
Go to: Department of Food Science
University of Guelph
Guelph Food Innovation Centre
Provides research services to the food industry.
Go to: Guelph Food Innovation Centre