Tap Into Unlimited Potential
Locating your business here in Burlington means access; access to one of the highest educated workforces in the region, top post-secondary institutions and mentorship opportunities. Here, we can provide your business with the skilled talent you need to grow your business.
- We’re part of Halton region, providing businesses with access to a labour pool of 4.5 million people within commuting distance.
- Our city is optimized for multi-sector strength, with a well-balanced mix of employment opportunities.
- Our quality of life means employee retention rates are higher here.
Key Workforce Data
- Business Establishments by Industry and Region
- Labour Force by Occupation
- Top Occupations in Burlington
- Total Labour Force Population Aged 15+ for city, region and province
- Top Industries by Number Employed
- Location Quotient by Industry
A Highly Educated City
- 73% of our residents (aged 25 – 64) have a post-secondary education2, higher than the province’s average of 65%.
- TechPlace, our city’s innovation centre, provides services and mentorship to new and developing technology companies.
- Our region has 20 post-secondary institutions within a one hour’s drive.
Ontario has the highest immigration levels of all Canadian provinces, resulting in a more global workforce from which to hire from.
Global Skills Strategy (GSS)
The Burlington Economic Development Corporation is a designated partner of the GSS initiative, introduced by the Canadian government to help innovative businesses fill gaps in its workforce from abroad. The GSS attracts and expedites the entry of highly skilled and qualified talent in select occupations so that companies can grow and scale here.
If you are a company (foreign or Canadian) that is looking to make significant monetary or job-creating investments in Canada, you can take advantage of these GSS programs:
Depending on the situation, the GSS can also grant short-term work permit exceptions and expedited work permit processing, without referrals.
Since its inception in 2017, the GSS has helped Canadian companies fill 24,000 skilled vacancies and create 60,000 new jobs for Canadians.
Dedicated Service Channel (DSC)
Once you have been referred by us here at the Burlington Economic Development, a dedicated DSC Account Manager will guide and support your business through the immigration and application process.
Global Talent Stream (GTS)
Once your business has demonstrated that hiring from out of the country will have positive and lasting impacts on the Canadian labour market (and once you have applied for a Labour Market Impact Assessment), the GTS will expedite your application, typically completing the process within 10 business days.
Population, Employment & Income Data
• Population and Population Growth
• Population by Highest Educational Attainment
• Median Age of the Population
• Median Household Income in Private Households
• Primary Rental Market
• Employment and Forecast