Economic Development Officer (EDO) – Marketing and Communications
CURRENT JOB RATING: Competitive salary plus comprehensive benefits (health and dental) and professional development opportunities.
35 hours/week | Full-time | Hybrid | 1 year contract with opportunity for renewal
ABOUT BURLINGTON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT:
Burlington Economic Development (Burlington EcDev) is an agency of the City of Burlington that exists to promote economic growth in our city.
The team at Burlington EcDev works to attract high-value companies to our city, support the expansion of existing businesses, and encourage the start-up and growth of new companies. During the COVID-19 pandemic we launched new programs to support retailers and small business and these supports continue to be a focus for us today. We work closely with local stakeholders to grow and sustain Burlington’s competitive and prosperous community. We work with all levels of government, and act as a liaison with the private sector to advocate and support the growth of our economy. We also stay connected with post-secondary institutions to ensure talent, research and subject matter expertise are available and accessible to the business community.
In 2017, we launched TechPlace, a one stop destination for new and growing technology companies. We recently celebrated 5 years of operations and we are proud that today TechPlace is an award-winning innovation centre. Featuring almost 10,000 square feet of office and event space, TechPlace is a core part of our strategy for supporting innovation and entrepreneurship locally and the space is home to many innovative programs.
We are looking for a marketing and communications professional looking to build a career in economic development. You will play a direct role in supporting the attraction, retention and growth of business in Burlington through strategic marketing initiatives and frontline customer service. Reporting to the Manager of Marketing and Attraction you’ll lead the implementation of our digital strategies, including managing our websites, paid search campaigns, and social channels. To really help tell Burlington’s story, you’ll be on the front lines of customer service, attending corporate calls with major employers, coordinating business supports such as co-marketing opportunities, and ensuring City of Burlington support for ribbon cuttings and groundbreaking ceremonies. As a Burlington EcDev and TechPlace brand champion, you’ll lead the development of our annual report every year, as well as ensure we’re putting our best foot forward with captivating, on brand collateral. You’ll have the unique opportunity to learn the ropes of core economic development functions such as site selection and responding to research and data inquiries. On the TechPlace side, you’ll work with our resident companies, endorsed users and referral partners to create content that boosts the TechPlace brand, as well as support TechPlace staff with planning events and program launches.
This is a hybrid position that will allow you to work from home and in our office. You will be required in our downtown Burlington office a minimum of two days a week. In-person requirements will vary depending on business needs and time of year, including attending corporate calls, partnership meetings and business events.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- University degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, and/or post-Graduate degree in related field. Specialty in Economics, Planning or Public Administration considered an asset
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated interest in marketing and a creative mindset
- Experience in a customer service or sales environment
- Critical problem-solving skills and ability to look at the bigger picture
- Well-developed interpersonal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in the digital marketing toolkit: WordPress (or similar), Canva, Google Analytics, Mail Chimp, social media, etc.
- Proficiency in the business toolkit: Zoom, MS Teams, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Proficiency in Salesforce not required but considered an asset
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and meet competing deadlines
- Interest in attaining an EcD. Designation
Most importantly, a positive attitude with a willingness to learn and teamwork-oriented approach to getting stuff done.
- Lead the development of the Burlington EcDev annual report, as well as complementing TechPlace reports.
- Champion the Burlington EcDev and TechPlace brands by ensuring our brand guides are up to date and that all outgoing content and campaigns meet our guidelines.
- Write and submit award applications to IEDC, EDAC and EDCO that recognize outstanding economic development programs and achievements.
- Support the design and delivery of marketing and sales tools for Burlington EcDev and TechPlace.
- Manage InvestBurlington.ca and TechPlace.ca including content management and SEO.
- Manage BurlingtonEcDev and TechPlace social media channels and e-newsletter strategies.
- Provide front line support to businesses including ground-breaking ceremonies, ribbon cutting events, and scheduling and attending corporate calls with the Manager of Business Development.
- Communicate with Mayor’s Office and City Council, City of Burlington departments and external partners to coordinate event attendance, cross-promotional activities and general business support.
- Support the updating and maintenance of Salesforce including inputting Customer Service Requests (CSRs) and regular reporting.
- You will receive training to support with responding to customer service requests that span across our service areas. This will be a unique opportunity to expand your marketing expertise into an economic development specialty.
- Deliver frontline customer service at our downtown Burlington office to direct business requests, complete basic site selections and respond to research and data inquiries.
- Participate in and support other aspects of Burlington EcDev’s economic development program, as needed.
PERKS AND BENEFITS:
- Comprehensive benefits package including health and dental
- Flexible working hours and hybrid office policy
- Professional development allowances for all staff
- Opportunities to attend business events and conferences
- Full access to TechPlace
- Exciting opportunities to network with business executives and elected officials while supporting Burlington’s business community
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00AM on October 6. Please include in your cover letter a clear statement on why you’re interested in expanding your marketing background into economic development.