April 1, 2020
Now More Than Ever We Need to Support Small Businesses in Burlington
April 1, 2020 – Now more than ever we need to support small businesses in Burlington
The need has never been greater as our local economy continues to be dramatically weighed down by the daily impacts of COVID-19. Some small businesses have made the decision to close completely, others are working in reduced capacity. In times of unprecedented hardship our small businesses and independents often experience the brunt of this crisis. Your assistance is needed.
Small businesses are an essential part of our community. They are risk-takers by nature; many are family owned and many are residents of the community where their business is located. They are the entrepreneurs that hire our children, sponsor our teams, donate for our events – they are our neighbours.
Team Burlington, which is a collective of the combined talents of The Burlington Chamber of Commerce, Burlington Economic Development, Burlington Downtown Business Association, Aldershot Village BIA and Tourism Burlington, encourages residents to support small businesses online from the safety of their home. They have made seven suggestions:
- Shop small businesses online: even though their doors may be closed, many businesses are still offering on-line sales and incentives with no-contact shipping/delivery
- Order take-out or delivery: show your support to restaurants/eateries that are still offering take-away options by ordering at home
- Purchase a gift card for future use: you may have to wait to use it but it provides cash to the business now when they need it most
- Submit a positive review online for your favourite business
- Connect on-line by following a few more local businesses and commenting on their posts
- Attend an on-line fitness workout: many fitness providers are offering classes from home virtually
- Support a local not-for-profit/charity: to the extent that you are able, please donate directly to local not-for-profits and charities to ensure that critical support continues to be available to those most vulnerable in our community
Brian Dean, Executive Director of the Burlington Downtown Business Association emphasizes “Shopping locally during this challenging time for Burlington business is more than a good idea, it is a necessity to help keep these small businesses flourishing”.
The days, weeks and months ahead are uncertain. These are your neighbours. This is your community. Small businesses need your support, now, more than ever. We’re all in this together.
Marketing & Events Manager, Burlington Downtown Business Association
Marketing Specialist, Tourism Burlington